Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Government is Not the Answer

I woke up in a cold sweat, head pounding, and mind racing. Democrats claim that they felt powerless for the past 8 years, and I often did too. Reckless spending and bureaucratic cronyism were far too abound. However, the majority of the problem stemmed from action abroad and inaction at home. I have learned I can deal with inaction. What stirred my thinking was a fear that I often exaggerated in public, but hadn't truly realized.

I expected President Obama to moderate when elected, I expected troops to be brought home, Guantanamo to close, and international realtions to evolve. Some of those potential changes were encouraging, it was time to reassert dominance through development rather than intrusion. It was time to shed to the strict social code that the neo-conservative movement had encouraged.

What I did not expect from President Obama was his sheer arrogance and ineptitude. But most offensively and concerning, his embrace of altruism. I can deal with his political pandering and rosy "lies" of change. What I cannot deal with is his embrace of sacrificial bull crap.

We are America. We were founded on the ideals of individualism and have succeeded as a meritocracy. We offer freedom to succeed, freedom to fail, and freedom of thought. I will not sacrifice my success for the benefit of another, by demand. I will give to charity, I will give back to the community, but I will not be asked to give back by force, and I expect no one to give to me. What have I done to deserve "benefits" and what has anyone else done to deserve mine. We are a nation that has strayed from the call of accountability and embraced entitlement, but not fully on our own accord. Populism reigns rampant, but our President has sanctioned it. He has made it honorable to beg and dishonorable to produce. He has granted authority to the looters and made wealth the stem of evil.

He wishes to increase taxes on the most productive members of our society, he claims they have enough to spare.

I claim, it is their decision to give.

He wants to tax investment, because the wealthy are benefiting.

I claim its their right.

He claims the poor are powerless.

I say its by choice.

We are threatened by a force that has been enabled. We have have enabled it.
But I tell you this: I will sleep at night, I will live my life, because freedom will prevail. The looters of our world will be dispelled, and success will cease to be condemned. I know this because I will no longer enable.

I ask you this: Will you allow yourself to fall victim to altruism, or will you stand with me?

No comments: